This project encourages…
Color Wheel Fruit Pizza is a yummy and creative way to introduce your little ones to the colors of the rainbow while also squeezing an impromptu introduction to basic color theory. They just might thank you later!
Just in case, here’s a mini-lesson on Basic Color Theory for you to share with your kiddos:
The Primary Colors are Red, Yellow, and Blue.
All other colors can be made by mixing a variation of these three.
Secondary Colors are created by mixing two Primary Colors…
Red + Yellow = Orange
Red + Blue = Violet (Purple)
Yellow + Blue = Green
Complementary Colors are opposite each other on the color wheel.
Make Your Own Color Wheel Fruit Pizza
What You’ll Need
- 1 roll of sugar cookie dough.
- Vanilla yogurt.
- Or, 1 8oz package of cream cheese (room temperature) and …
- 1 jar of marshmallow cream.
- Red fruit (2 cups of strawberries).
- Yellow fruit (2 cups of pineapple).
- Orange fruit (2 oranges or peaches).
- Purple fruit (1 bunch of grapes).
- Blue fruit (1 carton of blueberries).
- Green fruit (4 kiwis).
- Butter (for greasing).
- 1 round cake pan.
What You’ll Do
- Follow the directions on the roll of sugar cookie dough to pre-heat the oven.
- Grease your pan with butter, then press the dough into the bottom to form a round crust.
- Bake the crust per the directions on the package, keeping in mind the dough will rise quite a bit in the oven – that’s perfectly okay! It will fall once it’s chilled.
- Once the crust has baked (but, not yet turned brown), remove it from the oven, and set it out to cool.
- Next, fold the softened cream cheese and marshmallow cream together ’til it’s nice and smooth (if not using yogurt). This will be your sauce (or icing).
- At this point, the crust should be cool enough to put in the refrigerator to chill for a few minutes.
- While it’s chillin’, slice your fruit (except for the blueberries – they’re fine just the way they are) into halves (grapes), slivers (strawberries and pineapple), and slices (peaches and kiwis).
- Now, you’re ready to get to the fun part!
- First, you spoon the sauce onto your crust.
- Then, divide your pizza into 6 equal slices. It’s a good idea to draw lines in the sauce for guidance once you start adding your fruit.
- When you’re ready, pick a slice to start filling in with fruit, and follow this order going clockwise: Red (strawberries), then Orange (oranges or peaches), then Yellow (pineapple), then Green (kiwis), then Blue (blueberries), and finally Purple (grapes).
- Step back and admire your work – you’ve made an edible color wheel with the colors of the rainbow!
- Share your work of art with your family and friends!